Soccer is a game played by only two teams at any given time and each of the teams must have eleven players. It is played in a field that is rectangular in shape with two goal posts in each end of the field. Once the ball goes through any of the two goal posts a score is recorded. A player can score using any part of the body with exception of the arms. In this game, it is only the goalkeepers who are given permission to touch the ball with their hands. However, touching the ball that is intentionally played back to the goalkeeper by his own player is not permissible. Soccer is currently being governed by International Federation of Association Football (FIFA). It is the most watched game in the world and is played in not less than 200 countries worldwide. Here below is a detailed history of soccer.
Soccer was started around 2000 years ago. Its origin is traced to China although people from Rome, Greece and some sections in Central America also believe soccer originated from their countries. However, it is common knowledge that the current form of soccer was first played in England. It is in England where rules were formulated to guide in playing the game. For instance rules against touching the ball with hands. In England, schools started playing soccer and formulating there own rules. At the same time, clubs that were not connected to schools also started playing soccer but with different rules. This therefore meant that the rules being applied were not universal. In this accord, the Football Association was formed in 1893 to standardize these rules. Currently, the rules of soccer are being set by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) which was established in 1886. The world’s oldest soccer competition is the FA Cup that was started in 1872 with English clubs competing amongst each other.
In the modern day world, football is professionally played with so many teams evolving worldwide. However, soccer is also played at an amateur level in various parts of the world. The famous clubs in the world are in England, Italy, Spain and some countries in South America. Players in these clubs are paid highly. It is also observed that soccer nowadays evokes emotions from football fans who end up committing atrocities in the field when their favorite teams are defeated by opponents.
Football Basic Rules
Here are some basic rules for the sport of Football, also known as soccer in many parts of the world, which is undoubtedly the world's most popular sport.
- A football match is played by two teams, with each allowed no more than 11 players on the field at any one time, one of whom is a goalkeeper.
- A match is played in two 45 minute halves.
- The game begins with the toss of a coin, and the winning captain decides which goal to defend or to take the first kick off.
- All players must use their feet head or chest to play the ball. Only the goalkeeper is allowed to use their hands, and only within their designated goal area.
- The aim of the game is to score a goal, which is achieved by kicking or heading the ball into the opposition team's goal.
- If the ball touches or crosses the side line, it is thrown back in by the team that was not the last to touch the ball.
- The game is controlled by a central referee, and two linesmen. They award free kicks and penalties when rules are broken. For continual breaking of rules or for a bad foul, the player may be sent off.