OU theses and dissertations
Are available via Open Research Online.
Search for OU theses in the Library Search. To see only print theses click 'In the Walton Hall library' and refine your results to resource type 'Thesis'.
You may be able to borrow a consultation copy of a thesis if you are able to visit the OU Library in person. If you would like to access a hardcopy thesis we require 24 hours notice. Please contact the Library helpdesk giving the author and title of the thesis.
UK theses and dissertations from EThOS
The Electronic Theses Online System (EThOS) offers free access to the full text of UK theses.
- EThOS offers a one stop online shop providing free access to UK theses
- EThOS digitizes theses on request into PDF format, this may require payment
- EThOS is managed by the British Library in partnership with a number of UK universities
- EThOS is open to all categories of library user
What does this mean to you as a library user?
When you need to access a PhD thesis from another UK based HE institution you should check EThOS to either download a thesis which has already been digitised or to request that a UK thesis be supplied to you.
- For all UK theses EThOS will be the first point of delivery. You can use the online ordering and tracking system direct from EThOS to manage your requests for UK PhD theses, including checking the status of your requests
- As readers you will deal directly with EThOS so will not need to fill in a document delivery request
- OU staff and research students will still be entitled to access non-UK based PhD theses by filling in a document delivery request
- In some cases where EThOS is unable to supply a UK thesis OU staff and research students will be able to access it by filling in a conventional document delivery request. The thesis will be supplied through direct loan
- The EThOS system is both faster and cheaper than the previous British Theses service which was based on microfilm
- The British Library no longer arranges interlibrary loans for UK PhD theses
- Interlibrary Loan procedures for other types of request from the British Library (articles and books for example) will remain the same
If you have any queries about using EThOS contact the Document Delivery Team (firstname.lastname@example.org or the Library Helpdesk).
Jump to navigation
Open Access Dissertations
You are here
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations: An international organization dedicated to promoting the adoption, creation, use, dissemination, and preservation of electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs). The website includes resources on how to find, create, and preserve ETDs; how to set up an ETD program; legal and technical questions; and the latest news and research in the ETD community.
- Open Access Theses & Dissertations: An index of over 1.6 million electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs). To the extent possible, the index is limited to records of graduate-level theses that are freely available online.
- PQDT Open (Proquest):Provides the full text of open access dissertations and theses free of charge. The authors of these dissertations and theses have opted to publish as open access.
- University of California: Dissertations available through eScholarship.